Friday, December 11, 2015

On finding and losing my voice


Recently I wrote a short story, possibly the best thing I’ve ever written. At forty-four I’ve finally found my voice, my style. It’s not just about finding my voice but recognizing it and being able to break it down to its unique pauses, punctuation and metaphors.

Ultimamente ho scritto un racconto, forse la cosa più bella che abbia mai scritto. A quarantaquattro anni, ho finalmente trovato la mia voce, il mio stile. Non è soltanto questione di trovare la voce ma di riconoscerla e di poterla analizzare, nelle pause, la punteggiatura, le metafore.

So excited was I that I literally started to sing, to my sons’ chagrin – singing everywhere: in the shower, in the kitchen, in the car with the windows rolled down. Everybody knows, and hopefully those passers-by too, that to hone your voice you have to practice.

Ero così emozionata che mi sono messa letteralmente a cantare, con il disappunto dei miei figli – cantare ovunque: sotto la doccia, in cucina, in macchina con i finestrini abbassati. Tutti sanno, e spero che lo sappiano pure quei passanti, che per affinare la voce bisogna esercitarsi.

Some might say that I found my inner voice and thus lost my outer one. Others might say that, because I sang sad songs at Christmas time, the devil entered my body through my throat. Whatever the cause, I ended up with strep throat. It was hideous, like razors in your throat that take away your will to eat, swallow, even yell at the kids.

Alcuni diranno che trovando la mia voce interiore ho perso quella esteriore. Altri diranno che, siccome ho cantato canzioni tristi sotto Natale, il diavolo è entrato nel mio corpo attraverso la gola. Qualunque sia il motivo, mi sono presa una bella faringite da streptococco. È stata orrenda, come rasoi nella gola che ti tolgono la voglia di mangiare, di deglutire, perfino di urlare ai bambini.

People often tell me that my eldest boy, at seven, still speaks in the idiosyncratic and totally charming way that he dresses. For example, the other night he said to me, “You see, Mamma? I found out the way to sleep.” But it’s not really his own cool version of English: it’s him translating from Italian. He was trying to say Ho trovato/scoperto il modo per dormire.

Spesso la gente mi dice che mio figlio maggiore, a sette anni, parla ancora nel modo idiosincratico ed incantevole in cui si veste. Per esempio, l’altra sera mi ha detto, “You see, Mamma? I found out the way to sleep.” Ma questo non è veramente una sua fichissima versione dell’inglese bensì una traduzione dall’italiano. Stava cercando di dire “Ho trovato/scoperto il modo per dormire.”

In the same way, I’ve realized – during my feverish delirium reading Il volo della martora – that my own voice is colored by my decade wising up in Naples. For instance, here’s an expression from my recent story which has struck a couple of readers with its uniqueness: “the pigeons [took] flight and…I felt the breath of those wings all around me.” But that lovely breath is simply borrowed from the Italian alito, a literary but not uncommon metaphor. Who knows how many more Italian commonplace expressions are hiding in my originality.

Allo stesso modo, mi sono resa conto – durante il delirio febbrile in cui leggevo Il volo della martora – che la mia voce è colorata dal decennio che ho trascorso a scetarmi a Napoli. Ad esempio, ecco un’espressione dal mio racconto recente che ha colpito qualche lettore con la sua singolarità: “the pigeons [took] flight and…I felt the breath of those wings all around me.” Ma quel simpatico breath è semplicemente preso dall’italiano alito, una metafora letteraria ma non insolita. Chissà quanti altri luoghi comuni italiani si nascondano nella mia originalità.

But I don’t mind. I like being this linguistic hybrid that I’ve become. I like using ridiculously compound sentences at the top of my lungs, and singing to high heaven – even if it does mean I get strep. Because my inner voice is something that no one – no bacteria – can take away.

Ma non fa niente. Mi piace essere l’ibrido linguistico che sono diventata. Mi piace usare periodi lunghissimi a squarciagola e cantare per spaccare il cielo – anche col rischio di beccarmi un mal di gola da streptococco. Perché la mia voce interiore è qualcosa che nessuno – e nessun batterio – può togliere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment