Saturday, March 28, 2015

Satellites that pass in the night


A detail of one of my paintings
At the end of this blog post, you’ll think I’m superstitious. Or nuts.

Alla fine di quest’articolo capirai che sono superstiziosa. O pazza.

You should know that I’m one of those super-healthy moms – organic beans, face yoga, goji berries. My problem is that under stress I don’t have the usual outlets: alcohol, cigarettes, free time. Writing would be the best stress releaser but it’s also a time hog…

Dovete sapere che io sono una di quelle mamme fin troppo sane – del tipo fagioli biologici, yoga per la faccia, bacche goji. Il mio problema è che nei momenti di stress non ho i soliti sfoghi: alcool, sigarette, tempo libero. La scrittura sarebbe lo sfogo ideale, ma è anche ladra di tempo…

In certain ways, this past year has been tough: financial problems, the death of the my father-in-law, more rejection letters from literary agents, fighting with my husband – due often to nothing more than envy at how good he is at allowing himself those outlets.

Quest’anno passato è stato, per certi versi, tosto: problemi finanziari, la morte di mio suocero, ancora lettere di rifiuto da parte di agenti letterari, scontri con mio marito – dovuti se non per altro all’invidia di quant’è bravo a concedersi quegli sfoghi.

Solution: a session with a medium who talks to angels. That I’m not a Christian could be an indication that I hit rock bottom, but angels are pretty cool. Especially if they can tell me how the hell to publish my book.

Soluzione: una seduta spiritica con una sensitiva che parla con gli angeli. Il fatto che non sono cristiana potrebbe indicare di aver toccato il fondo, ma gli angeli mi stanno simpatici. Soprattutto se possono dirmi come diavolo pubblicare il mio libro.

But after missing our appointment for the third (!) time, finally the medium brought up the idea in an email that maybe the universe doesn’t want us to meet. I mean, not just yet another rejection from an agent, but a rejection from the universe!

Ma dopo aver mancato all’appuntamento ben tre volte, alla fine la sensitiva ha suggerito in una mail l’ipotesi che forse l’universo non vuole il nostro incontro. Insomma, non semplicemente l’ennesimo rifiuto letterario, ma un rifiuto universale!

I won’t lie: I cried bitter tears, like a broken dam. I’d been abandoned by the cosmos! After a while, though, I got bored. The house was silent and dark; everyone was asleep. I peeked outside and saw a moon making a good effort at looking full. So I went outside on the deck in my pyjamas to look at the sky.

Non vi nego che ho versato lacrime amare, tipo diga rotta. Ero stata abbandonata dal cosmos! Dopo un po’ però mi sono scocciata. La casa era silenziosa e buia, dormivano tutti. Ho sbirciato fuori una luna che faceva un buono sforzo ad apparire piena. Allora in pigiama sono uscita fuori al terrazzo a guardare il cielo.

New Zealand stars rarely disappoint. Neither do the satellites. I wondered to myself, “Who knows if I’ll see a satellite tonight, despite the moonlight?" The universe might well have forsaken me but maybe not mankind…And no sooner had I lifted my gaze than I saw one. Fast, straight, determined, nosediving towards the sea.

In Nuova Zelanda le stelle raramente deludono. E neanche i satelliti. Chissà, ho pensato, se vedrò qualche satellite stasera, nonostante il chiarore di luna? L’universo mi avrà pure abbandonata, ma forse l’uomo no…E appena ho alzato lo sguardo ne ho visto uno. Veloce, dritto, determinato, giù in picchiata verso il mare.

I slightly shifted my gaze. Wow, another satellite! This one was racing in the other direction, falling towards downtown. What are the chances that a person wishing to see a satellite sees two in the same moment? Two completely unaware of each other but whose paths were about to cross. I watched them incredulous until they crossed each other, carving an “x” into the sky.

Ho girato leggermente lo sguardo. To’, un altro satellite! Questo però sfrecciava nell’altro verso, precipitando nella direzione del centro. Quali sono le probabilità che uno, sperando di vedere un satellite, ne vede due nello stesso istante? Due completamente ignari l’uno dell’altro i cui percorsi però stavano per incontrarsi. Li ho fissati incredula finché si sono incrociati, intagliando una “x” nel cielo.

Then I went inside and slept and slept.

Poi sono rientrata in casa e ho dormito e dormito.

6 comments:

  1. sei bravissima, riesci a trasmettere alle persone che ti leggono le sensazioni che tu senti quando scrivi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grazie mille, Mamma Rita! E' il complimento piu' bello...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there. It's easy for any writer to feel frustrated by the harsh world of publishing. Have you ever considered publishing on Amazon Kindle? There have been lots of success stories of people who have made a living out of it. More and more people are using e-readers every day. It might be something to look into. Don't stop looking for the satellites of opportunity to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Daniel, for that virtual hug from one writer to the next - I needed one! I have considered e-publishing but somehow it doesn't feel like the right avenue to take at the moment. I do realize, though, that I need tackle the situation laterally...we'll see! All the best to you in your writing too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravissima! What a warning beacon your blog is - it warns me to brush up on my Italian!) You put forward such a flowery language!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment! I find that since I made the blog bilingual it's forced me to improve my literary Italian, and I'm enjoying the challenge...you never stop learning!

      Delete