Monday, September 22, 2014

I remember those shoes


(In Matera) before babies: when I still had my
memory, my figure, and those cool brown shoes
Since the birth of my first son, my memory has been terrible. I forget people’s names, who said what, and whom I’ve already given some big news to. I’ve even forgotten that – allegedly – I attended a U2 concert with my husband, and I’m not 100% sure I’ve ever been to London.

Da quando è nato il mio primo figlio, ho una pessima memoria. Dimentico i nomi delle persone, chi ha detto cosa, e a chi ho già dato qualche grande notizia. Ho perfino dimenticato che – a quanto pare – ero presente con mio marito ad un concerto di U2, e non sono certa al cento per cento di essere mai stata a Londra.

            But for some reason I have a detailed memory for all the shoes I’ve ever owned. The delicate shoelaces of those two-tone shoes. The cat spunk on those beige suede boots, the way my right ankle always ached in them. The sound of those wooden clogs slapping against the kitchen tiles. The loose buckle on those burgundy Forties sandals, the way the sand would get caught at the edges. Perhaps it is as novelist Orhan Pamuk puts it in The Museum of Innocence – love is attention to detail…in addition to compassion.

            Ma per qualche motivo ho una memoria dettagliata per tutte le scarpe che ho mai avuto. I lacci delicati di quelle scarpe a due tonalità. Il piscio di gatto su quegli stivali di camoscio beige, il modo in cui indossandoli la mia caviglia mi faceva sempre male. Il rumore che facevano quegli zoccoli di legno quando sbattevano contro le mattonelle della cucina. La fibbia allentata di quei sandali bordeaux stile anni quaranta, il modo in cui la sabbia rimaneva intrappolata ai bordi. Magari è proprio come dice lo scrittore Orhan Pamuk nel suo romanzo Il museo dell’innocenza – l’amore è la cura dei dettagli…oltre alla compassione.

Why is it that I can’t remember what I was doing in Guatemala in the late nineties but I can recall the shoes from my entire life? Maybe it’s because I spent so much looking down at all the small things before me – the grass, the mosaics, the shells – and therefore I formed memories of my shoes because they were always pasted into those little scenes.

           Ma perché non mi ricordo che ci facevo in Guatemala negli anni novanta ma riesco a ricordarmi tutte le scarpe della mia intera esistenza? Forse è perché ho passato tanto di quel tempo a guardare giù alle piccole cose che avevo davanti – l’erba, i mosaici, le conchiglie – e quindi ho formato ricordi delle mie scarpe che erano sempre incollate in quelle minuscole vedute.

In fact, it was while looking down at my shoes at the age of nine that I understood I wanted to be a writer. I was walking home from school and looking at the cracks in the sidewalk and the weeds breaking through. I suddenly became aware that I was describing those cracks and weeds to myself, as if carefully choosing the words for a story, and that this was something I’d done forever.

Infatti, era proprio mentro guardavo le mie scarpe all’età di novi anni che capii che volevo fare la scrittrice. Stavo facendo la strada di casa dopo la scuola guardando le crepe nel marciapiede e le erbacce che ci prorompevano. All’improvviso mi resi conto che stavo ineffetti descrivendo a me stessa quelle crepe e quelle erbacce, come scegliendo accuratamente le parole per un racconto, e che questo era una cosa che facevo da sempre.

Sometimes shoes are not just shoes, but epiphanies!
          
           A volte le scarpe non sono solo scarpe, ma epifanie!

No comments:

Post a Comment